Saturday, May 10, 2008

First fruits!!

The strawberries have arrived! Unsurprisingly, harvesting strawberries has skyrocketed to the top of my "favorite farm tasks" list, despite the hot sun and the careful dance that I have to perform while navigating within the confines of our crowded strawberry bed. Strawberries are finicky little fruits--sublime during their window of optimal ripeness but criminally unappealing if harvested too early or too late. So I make a point of conducting regular quality control tests as I squat barefoot in our bed and pluck them for market.

Occasionally, a few berries actually make it off of the farm and into my kitchen, where I have a shelf of recipes waiting. My first strawberry concoction this season was a chilled strawberry dessert soup which really could as easily have been melted ice cream, it was so delicious.

Strawberry and Cardamom Soup
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
4-6 cardamom pods, crushed
zest of one lime
1 lb 2 oz strawberries
7 ounces creme fraiche or mascarpone

Put the sugar, water, cardamom and lime zest in a a small saucepan and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside and allow the syrup to cool for 20-30 minutes.

Put the strawberries, syrup, and creme fraiche in a blender and liquidize until smooth. If you want to get rid of the seeds, strain through a fine sieve.

1 comment:

wendy said...

Oh, sweet Lord. If the recipe involves marscarpone, I. Am. In.

Missed you this morning while I doctored a puppy-in-recovery and a sermon-in-need.